Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

The Stresses of Job Hunting Without a Degree


So recently I've had to start looking for a job.  Here's the problem I'm running into.  I have the experience but everyone wants me to have a (&#(&@(#$&@#() Degree.  More specifically a bachelor's.  Now, I have a degree in Massage Therapy (which I no longer due as it was ridiculously expensive to keep up with the license and besides my wrist decided it didn't really want to handle the stress), but alas, no one is going to hire me with an Associates of Massage.

Granted, I probably should have gone to school when I was younger.  I imagine I'm in the high numbered populace of people going through the same problem. To be honest I fell into my last writing job because a friend of mine is in the business.  She knows I have the skills even if I don't have the degree.  Unfortunately no one else seems to care.

So, what does this mean? This means that I'm going to have to get a crap job while going back to school.  I haven't been to school in over eight years now, but hey, I gotta do what I gotta do.  A Bachelor's in English may be tough to get but I figure if I don't want to be fifty-five working at a retail store for minimum wage I should probably get off my ass and make something happen.



It got me wondering though, how many people went to college straight out of high school? How many people have gone back in later years? Do you know someone who is in their late 20's or 30's or older going back to school? Are you contemplating doing it yourself?

To be perfectly honest I'm petrified, but then again if I let everything that scared me stop me from doing something I wanted to do, well I'd probably live a pretty dull life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment